Welcome to Peechi-Vazhani Wildlife Sanctuary
Peechi-Vazhani Wildlife Sanctuary lies with in the geographical extremes of latitudes 10026’ N and 100 40’ N longitudes 760 15’ E and 760 28’ N in the Taluk of Thrissur and Thalappilly and in the administrative jurisdiction of Peechi Wild life Division of Northern Wild life Circle, Palakkad.
The Peechi-Vazhani Wildlife sanctuary is the second oldest sanctuary in Kerala having the code KER/141.The sanctuary comprises of parts of Paravattanimala, machadmala and Bahranipacha mala .The total area of the sanctuary is 125 Sq.km. Till the dawn of 19 th centuary the forest of this sanctuary were under the possession and central of feudal chief called the Naduvachira who owned allegiance to the Raja of cochin. Consequent to the integration of Travancore and Cochin states in June 1949, the whole of the forest of Cochin were constituted into Trichur and Chalakudy Division with Head quarters of Thrissur and Chalakudy, respectively. The Sanctuary was formed by combining portion of Peechi, Pattikkad and Machad Range of Trichur Forest Division vide GO (MS) No.871 dated 06-08-1958.The area of Peechi Range is again bifurcated in to Peechi and Vazhani Watersheds.
The topography and climate enables the occurrence of varied habitats to shelter variety of animals. (More)
The Sanctuary is blessed with copious rains, typical of the state, good sunlight and hot and humid weather. (More)
Nature camps are conducted for the students of Govt. recognized Educational institutions. (More)
Peechi dam was constructed primarily to cater the drinking water needs of the population of Thrissur town. In addition it also serves as an irrigation dam, reaching out to the paddy fields in and around Thrissur. Although devoid of visitors on most of the times of the year, the monsoon season often put the place on the tourist map, mainly for the majestic views offered by the open shutters of the fully filled reservoir.
Boating is permitted in the reservoir and on lucky days one can see wild tuskers on the forested banks, part of which forms a reserved forest.